Apple Cardamom Upside Down Cake
I found this recipe at The Kitchn, who was inspired by Canal House Cooking. I've changed up the directions a bit to reflect how I made it. Jamie
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 medium-sized firm apples
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus extra for the apples
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper cut to size.
- The Caramel:
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until well-combined.
- Let it bubble for about 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and spread in the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Set aside.
- The Apples
- Peel the apples and core them.
- Cut them in thick slices and then cut each slice in half.
- Arrange the apples on the caramel in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle them lightly with cinnamon.
- The Cake
- Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and cardamom, as well as 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and keep warm until the butter melts completely.
- While the milk is warming, beat the eggs for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are very thick and pale.
- Gradually add the sugar to the beaten eggs and continue to beat for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture, and then the hot milk.
- Stir until the batter is smooth
- Pour it over the apple.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the cake is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for a full 10 to 15 minutes (I totally did not do this)
- Run a knife around the inside of the pan to help release the cake, and invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. (I had whipped cream but totally forgot to serve it!)
The cake was absolutely delicious. I'd make it again and again!